CTA Delegation Meets with U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State and U.S. Consul General
Nov 14, 2023
(TORONTO, Nov. 14, 2023) -- A delegation of CTA members with operations across Canada met with Rachel Poynter, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, and Baxter Hunt, U.S. Consul General (Toronto), earlier this week to discuss the state of cross border trucking.
Among the topics raised by CTA is how improving efficiency and operating conditions for cross border carriers is a boost for American exporters as most of these U.S.-based businesses rely on Canadian fleets to move their commodities and supports bilateral trade and supply chains.
“This was a great opportunity for our sector to highlight the critical role we play in assisting U.S. business growth and the need to make continuous improvements to policies that remove unnecessary barriers which impede the efficiency of Canadian trucks moving U.S.-Canada trade,” said Stephen Laskowski, President, Canadian Trucking Alliance.
The CTA delegation outlined the current conditions they are experiencing in the cross-border market as well as their outlook for 2024 and beyond. Multiple policy areas that require attention by U.S. officials were also highlighted, such as border staffing, labour challenges, and long-standing policy issues like the repositioning of foreign empty trailers, in-transit moves, forced labour/FAST and expediting food and agricultural inspections.
CTA would like to thank the U.S. Consulate General for organizing this meeting as well as the CTA members below who participated:
- Michael Anderson, President, Don Anderson Haulage
- Mark Bylsma, President, Spring Creek Carriers Inc.
- David Carr, Senior Vice President, Canadian Operations, Day and Ross
- Wayne Cooney, President, Cooney Transit Inc.
- Dan Einwechter, Chairman, Challenger Motor Freight Inc.
- Wendell Erb, President and CEO, The Erb Group
- Kristen Fess, Executive Vice President, TFI International
- Craig Germain, Chief Operating Officer, XTL Transport Inc.
- Trevor Kurtz, Manager, Brian Kurtz Trucking
- Dave Martin, Vice President, Eastern Operations, Bison Transport Inc.
- Steve Ondejko, President, Onfreight Logistics
- Mark Seymour, CEO, Kriska Transportation Group
- James Steed, President, Steed Standard Transport Ltd.
- Ron Uloth, Vice President and General Manager, The Rosedale Group
Do you need a solution to reduce your work place injuries & illnesses?
Trucking Industry Certificate of Recognition
Are you looking to provide your employees with new skills? Is having a safe and employee-friendly workplace part of your company culture? The Trucking Industry Certificate of Recognition (CoR) is an industry-evaluated health & safety program recognized by the WCB and Work Safe Saskatchewan.