Resource Industry Driver Enhancement (RIDE)
The purpose of this course is to provide the resource industry, namely oilfield and forestry, and their professional drivers, sufficient training that is acceptable to the employers within the industry and the Saskatchewan Ministry of Highways and Transportation.
This course will be of special interest to companies applying for an “Oil Well Service Vehicle Permit (OWSVP)” because RIDE has been approved by the Saskatchewan provincial government as appropriate training. Oil well service vehicle drivers typically need to work for longer periods than the cycle limits imposed by the Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations. Section 63 of the regulations (Oil Well Service Vehicle Permits) allows the Provincial Director to issue annual permits to oil well service vehicle carriers/drivers exempting them from certain provisions of the regulations. Requirements include training such as the RIDE course as well as a Fatigue Management Program and training for all employees (conditions of the OWSVP in Saskatchewan as of 2012.)
RIDE is also an excellent course for anyone driving off highway, and for employers and professional drivers who would like relevant knowledge and practical skills to use on the job every day. Learning to operate your vehicle in a safe, efficient and conscientious manner helps avoid costly accidents and saves lives.
- Module 1 through 10 – Professional Driver Improvement Elements
- Module 11 – Off-Highway Driving
- Module 12 – Map Reading
- Module 13 – Regulatory Requirements
- Module 14 – Weights and Dimensions
- Module 15 – Cargo Securement Overview
- Module 16 – Transporting Dangerous Goods Overview
- Module 17 – Hand Signals
- Module 18 – Fire Prevention and Fire Extinguishers
- Module 19 – Vehicle Mounted Equipment
- One day course duration
- Successful completion of the course requires a mini-mum of 80% on the final exam
- Each participant receives a handbook
- Wallet card issued by the STA
- Certification expires every three (3) years
Language of Instruction: English
Instructor-led in-person and video conference training is offered on a calendar schedule.
Empowering Women with Transportation Industry Skills
Women Shifting Gears
The STA, YWCA Saskatoon and Saskatchewan Ministry of Immigration and Career Training have launched a pilot-program to encourage more woman to participate in the trucking industry.